Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Image...

In a school, ICT support are the unseen force. We drift in and out of classrooms unnoticed, neither students nor staff paying heed. This leads for very interesting days, we learn all manner of things - some we really didn't want to hear - but occassionally I will hear something that makes me very sad.

A year eight or nine boy for example asking his friend why he bothered buying his mother a present for her birthday. His reasoning behind not doing it was that women are not important. That all they do is "screw you over" and "run off with all your stuff and money". He said that in his household they never bought their mother anything as she wasn't important enough.

The conversation proceeds as such (perhaps cleaned up);
b: How do you know they do it?
a: Because they do. I've known for years. I've never seen one not be like it.
b: Thats not right, my mum is different
a: They are all the same. Even films show that!
*b looks thoughtful*
b: I still think you're wrong
a: Then you're stupid.

No more words were exchanged all the time that I was in the room.

It might have been media effect, but then it would've affected the other boy too. Or the childs parent's may have divorced but I didn't get that impression.
I am aware that there are cultures around for whom women are little but second class citizens and possessions, and I can only presume that his family was a part of that culture. It is a way of 'life' but it saddened me all the same.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:31 pm, Blogger banana said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:05 pm, Blogger banana said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home